Key Text: Acts 18; Rom. 16:3; 1 Cor. 16:19; 2 Tim. 4:19; 1 Tim 2:8-15 IN A NUTSHELL – Couples serving in ministry these days are massive in numbers and diverse in styles. Meanwhile stereo types abound and arrogant defiance in perspectives divide Churches and distract Christians from serving effectively. A lot can be said, but we must start here: Husbands should love their wives, and wives should respect their husbands. (Eph 5:33) Women should not exercise authority over men in the teaching of Scripture. (1 Tim. 2:12-15).
How do you think the old TV show “All in the Family” would be received today?
CONNECTING TO THE TEXT
- When is Priscilla's name mentioned before her husbands? And when is Aquila mentioned first? 1 Cor. 16:19; Acts 18:2, 26; Rom. 16:3; 2 Tim. 4:19
- Where do we find other Scriptures referring to women that may have some level of teaching responsibilities.
- Upon what basis does Paul say he limits women from having teaching responsibilities over men? 1 Tim. 2:12; What reasoning is given? 1 Tim. 2:8-15
- How does Paul describe a woman’s responsibility in worship to the Church at Corinth? 1 Cor. 14:29-38
REFLECTING UPON OUR LIVES
- How can a church honor the Scriptural admonition for women to “remain silent in the church” and yet prophesy or correct the false teachings of a teacher?
- What are the most effective yet maybe subtle ways women disrespect their husbands in public?
- How were the “Archie Bunkers” responded to in the 80’s? How are they responded to today?
- Keep in mind the implications of the different social spheres created by God with their principles of authority and how those are applied when situations cause those spheres to intersect.
CONNECTING WITH THE WAY WE DO CHURCH
- How many hymns/choruses do we sing that were written by women? Could that be regarded as teaching?
- How is it possible for a woman to teach in a church and yet not exercise authority over a man? 1 Timothy 2:12
- Creative Connections for Kids
NEXT WEEK "A Business Woman in a Man’s World” (Lydia) – Describe every characteristic about Lydia you can reap from this text. Acts 16:13-15