SERMON IN A NUTSHELL: Is your faith based in a religion or in a relationship? One who is a disciple of a religion focuses on rules with the purpose of controlling others and manipulating circumstances to serve himself. One who is a disciple of a personal Savior focuses on a relationship that inspires a life of grateful trust in the one who saved him. The Identity of Jesus challenged the Jewish religion of man-made traditions. Jesus challenged their claim to authority and again clearly confirmed his claim to be Deity, God in the flesh, using the name reserved for Yahweh, Jehovah, Creator. I AM.
TEXTS: John 8:31-59
- vs. 31-36 - Sons vs Slaves, Hebrews 3:1-6
- Vs. 37-47 - Paternity Test, Gal. 3:8-14, 26-29; Acts 7:51-53
- Vs. 48–59 - Identity rooted in Infinity “Before Abraham was born, I AM!”, Col. 1:15-17; Heb. 1:1-3; Eph. 1:3-6; Matt. 22:31-32; Heb. 13:8
- *Jesus says that truth will set a person free,
- *and that knowing the truth is tied to being Jesus’ disciple,
- *and being Jesus’ disciple is dependent on whether you hold to his teaching.
- *Jesus points out that spiritual parentage is what determines our destiny and is revealed in how we live our lives.
- *Whether we love Jesus and make room for His Word living by faith, determines our spiritual parentage.
- *Jesus’ Identity is intimately tied to the One who operates in Infinity. I AM. The ever-present One who reigns over all creation, has come to give eternal life to those who would embrace his Son.