THIS WEEK'S PLAY LIST: YOUTUBE
THIS WEEK’S BIBLE READINGS Aug. 29 - Sept, 4 Psalm 32-33
NEXT WEEK’S BIBLE READINGS September 12-18, Psalm 42-43
IN A NUTSHELL: The Imprecatory Psalms begin with the emotions surrounding injustice and end with the confidence that God will bring about justice in a perfect way. To pray imprecatory prayers is to learn to identify appropriate and inappropriate emotions and learn how to give them to God.
TEXT: Psalm 58; 137; 109; Psalm 91 Psalm 4
- List as many of the emotions with which you sense the author of the Psalm may be struggling.
- How does the Psalmists describe "the wicked" or those that they feel are attacking them?
- What are some of the ways the Psalmists suggest God deal with their oppressors?
- What is the difference between man's justice (vengeance) and God's justice (vengeance)? Romans 14:12-14; 2 Cor. 7:11-14; Genesis 18; Ezekiel 18:23
- What type of plan has God established for man to manage the wicked? Romans 13:1-17
- To which of the emotions sensed in these Psalms are you most able to relate? What circumstances created that emotion in you?
- How might these Psalms help remind you that God's vengeance is better than yours?
- How can a person let go of bitterness, anger and a desire for vengeance by looking to God? Have you seen someone do this?
- How can you tell when you are experiencing emotions that are destructive and rooted in vengeance?
- Sermon Outcome: I would like to see people leave today equipped with a deep seated, Bible based conviction to pray for their enemies as well as for those standing between them and their enemies.
- How might God handle a situation better when you feel like enforcing justice?
Sermon Objective: to help the worshiper identify the source of and discern the proper way to handle the emotions of anger, bitterness, prejudice, fear and vengeance. Standing for Justice and praying for God's will is a hard balance that the Imprecatory Psalms help us to accomplish.
- 9/11/01 - History Channel's Chronology
- Introduction to Psalms
- Website Psalms categorized by topics
- Was Jesus a Pacifist?
- Pacifism: a philosophical introduction
- What is an imprecatory prayer?
- What are imprecatory Psalms?
- Stories of the Persecuted Church
- New Testament references to the Psalms
- 2016 MOSAIC SERIES AND BIBLE READINGS
- 12 FRANCIS SCHAEFFER QUOTES THAT WILL CHALLENGE THE WAY YOU ENGAGE CULTURE (RELEVANT MAGAZINE)
- INSPIRED EVIDENCE – A GOOD DEVOTION BOOK FOR 2016