THIS WEEK’S BIBLE READINGS June 6-12, Joshua 8-12
- WHERE’S YOUR SPACE TO READ?
- WHAT’S YOUR TIME TO STUDY?
- WHAT ARE THE KEY WORDS?
- WHAT WAS GOD SAYING TO THEM? WHAT’S GOD SAYING TO YOU?
- WHAT’S THE HOLY SPIRIT GOING TO SHOW YOU THROUGHOUT THE DAY?
- FOR WHAT ARE YOU GRATEFUL?
- FOR WHAT ARE YOU CONCERNED?
- WHO NEEDS YOU TODAY?
NEXT WEEK’S BIBLE READINGS June 13-19, Joshua 13-16
SUNDAY’S PLAY LIST VIA YOUTUBE
IN A NUTSHELL: Jesus told us (and showed us) what to do in order to pass our faith on to those following us. But Joshua provides play by play illustrations of what can happen when we do disciple those following us as well as when we don't! Discipleship is a life process that is not optional. It's never too late to start! Discipleship is What's Next!
- "Discipleship is…. following Jesus, “being baptized”, obeying/teaching others, all that Jesus commanded."
- Satan’s deception is always close!
- God’s provisions are always closer!
4. How is "discipling" your family different from being in a small discipleship group?
5. How important does your family regard consequences and the conscience in your family's spiritual growth?
6. How have you included the process of discipleship in your "Family Mission Statement"?
7. How do you score on being able to lead your family through these core elements of a biblical worldview?
1 - 3 - 5 The Gospel, I can describe sin, atonement, what the Bible says about being saved, and being lost.
1 - 3 - 5 The Big Story, I can explain how Adam, Noah, Abraham, Israel, the judges, kings , and prophet , the disciples and Apostles are related to Jesus and the plan of redemption
1 - 3 - 5 The Big Truths, I understand and can teach core passages of Scripture about God, His Character, the trinity, Creation, God’s Providence, Human nature and sin, the person work and ministry of Jesus, the person and work of the Holy Spirit, Salvation, the church, and last things.
1 - 3 - 5 The Great Commission , I comprehend, relate to and can explain how God views the lost, leads those seeking to win them to Jesus and empowers the word of God to draw them.
1 - 3 - 5 The Spiritual Disciplines , I have learned how to, and practice Bible study, praying, worship, ministry and stewardship.
1 - 3 - 5 Christian Living , Ican describe Scripture and key truths regarding forgiveness, marriage & family, sexual purity, parenting, discernment and biblical principles of decision making. I can describe the implications of Theism, Modalism, Universalism, and Calvinism have on these teachings.
1 - 3 - 5 Worldview , I am able to point to and explain Scriptures that help Christians understand and explain to others the implications of the Bible regarding atheism, naturalism, evolution, and ethical issues such as the sacredness of human life, sanctity of marriage, the rule of law, and principles of economics.
7. How would you regard your "diagnosis" as being Spiritually Healthy?
- Do you thirst for God?
- Are you governed increasingly by God’s Word?
- Are you more loving?
- Are you more sensitive to God’s presence?
- Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual and temporal needs of others?
- Do you delight in the bride of Christ?
- Are the spiritual disciplines increasingly important to you?
- Do you still grieve over sin?
- Are you a quicker forgiver?
- Do you yearn for heaven and to be with Jesus?
Battles lost... battles won! Smooth talkers and careless walkers, story after story we are reminded that a Christian life is won through God's grace,Jesus' sacrifice & the life long process of discipleship.
Discipleship in your family: Your children can not commit to that which you and they have not thought through, seen modeled and practiced. Basics first, then practice them, teach more and discern your weaknesses & strengths. Embrace the conscience, teach through consequences and always offer, model and receive grace. 1) Comprehension, 2) commitment, 3) transformation, and then progressive 4) growth. (Rom. 10:17; Heb. 5:11-6:3; 9:14; 2 Pet. 1:5-11; 1 Cor. 8:12; 1 Tim. 4:2)
Joshua 7:10-11 "The Lord said to Joshua, 'Get up! Why have you fallen on your face? Israel has sinned!'"
- Introduction to Joshua
- "Intentional Parenting" by Tad Thompson
- "The Family Kitchen" (a self-assessment with recommendations & resources)
- "Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health" by Donald S. Whitney (a video summary of the Ten Questions by the author)
- Family Mission Statement Questions & Resources
- T.L.C.C.'s Synergy Pinterest board(Milestone #1 Discipleship)
- Parenting Adult Children by Focus on the Family
- Three book discussions for this Summer
- "Counterfeit Gods" by Tim Keller (2nd Wed. of June 6:30-8pm - 6/8)
- Book Discussion Guide -
- "The Relationship Principles of Jesus" by Tom Holladay (2nd Wed. of July 6:30-8pm - 7/13)
- "Cross-Cultural Servant-hood" - by Duane Elmer (2nd Wed. of August 6:30-8pm - 8/10)
- 2016 MOSAIC SERIES AND BIBLE READINGS
- 12 FRANCIS SCHAEFFER QUOTES THAT WILL CHALLENGE THE WAY YOU ENGAGE CULTURE (RELEVANT MAGAZINE)
- INSPIRED EVIDENCE – A GOOD DEVOTION BOOK FOR 2016
- TIMBER LAKE CHRISTIAN CHURCH WEBSITE
- TIMBER LAKE LIVE! (SIMULCAST)
- TIMBER LAKE’S PAST VIDEOS (VIMEO)