“Therefore when we could bear it no longer, we were willing to be left behind at Athens alone, 2 and we sent Timothy, our brother and God's coworker in the gospel of Christ, to establish and exhort you in your faith, 3 that no one be moved by these afflictions. For you yourselves know that we are destined for this.” - 1 Thess. 3:1-2
“Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages 26 but has now been disclosed and…has been made known to all nations…to bring about the obedience of faith— 27 to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.” - Rom. 16:25-27
IN A NUTSHELL: Encouraging others, especially at a distance is difficult, “out of sight / out of mind” makes it tough! How did the Apostle Paul manage? Having a common purpose, struggling through similar conflicts, anticipating the next get-together can all make a difference. There are some people and reactions that work against the unity of God’s Kingdom, but the bottom line is celebrating God’s work through faith and faithfulness must be everyone’s top priority.
1. 1 Thess. 3:1-5 – What were the things that made the Apostle Paul worry about the believers he could not be with?
2. 1 Thess. 3:6-13 – What were the specific things about the believers at Thessalonica that encouraged Paul?
3. Rom. 16:1-16 List the names and significant things Paul recalled about those people?
4. Rom. 16:17-27 If encouragement creates a sense of togetherness and a common cause, what are some things that can cause division in the body?
5. What are some struggles or concerns that might cause you to worry about anyone of our missionaries, their family, or their ministry?
6. Does Paul’s list in Romans 16:1-16 remind you of some people that have done similar things for which you could express gratitude and encouragement?
7. How did Mike & Jennifer’s thoughts inspire you to want to encourage any or one of our missionaries?
8. Would your family or CARE group be interested in “organizing a table” at our “G.O. Nite” (10/27)?
- The worshipper should be able to identify more closely with how the Apostle Paul felt about those he encouraged at a distance. There are some "roots" of living hopes, fears realizing opportunities for growth and loss that create a desire to "keep in touch". The worshipper will be challenged to identify with those hopes, fears and act upon those opportunities by adopting a mission, missionary and/or missionary family.
- So many names, memories, and accomplishments are recalled by Paul with gratitude and intentional prayer, the worshipper should be inspired to learn a new standard of judging success in our Global Outreach efforts.
- The worshipper will assess their methods and motives for encouraging others, specifically those that they are not able to see often, or with whom they are not able to spend much time.
- This week, the priority is for the worshipper to give serious consideration to "adopting" a missionary and or their family. Seeking out common threads of interests and matching resources to similar needs and passions for ministry.
- We will introduce the concept of G.O. Nite (11/27), & G.O. Teams in effort to recruit people to make our first G.O. Nite a success.
- Introduction to Thessalonians
- TLCC Missions Policy
- Assessing a ministry/mission
- “The Hole in Our Gospel” by Richard Stearns
- “Toxic Charity” by Robert D. Lupton
- If you want to sponsor a child at Living Water DONATE
- Video - Living Water Sponsor a Child
- Living Water Christian Mission - "Hurricane Matthew Relief"
- If you want to donate to Haiti missionaries through I.D.E.S. for disaster relief DONATE
- Good News Production Project "NOMAD"
- TLCC Mission Support Application
- A book review discussing "measuring results of a mission"
- Scriptures concerning Praying for the Lost
- My Story: A Life Changed - stories of people's journey from various worldviews to belief in Christ
- Becoming a Christian on a Napkin
- 2016 MOSAIC SERIES AND BIBLE READINGS
- 12 FRANCIS SCHAEFFER QUOTES THAT WILL CHALLENGE THE WAY YOU ENGAGE CULTURE (RELEVANT MAGAZINE)
- INSPIRED EVIDENCE – A GOOD DEVOTION BOOK FOR 2016
- TIMBER LAKE CHRISTIAN CHURCH WEBSITE
- TIMBER LAKE LIVE! (SIMULCAST)
- TIMBER LAKE’S PAST VIDEOS (YOUTUBE