In a Nutshell: Looking at rules which reveal God’s nature in Leviticus ultimately forces us to see an ugly side of our humanity. If we “spurn” His commands and “abhor” His principles then He will make sure we receive the consequences of those choices rather than His blessing. There are some cultural indicators that suggest our faith isn't working, (a.k.a. “dealing with our “ugly side”): a sense of insecurity will grow into a persistent paranoia, an increasing sense of hunger which will eventually lead to the total breakdown of our health, food system and well-being, our enemies seem to win and our resources unexplainably dry up. All of these would suggest that while we may have a faith it probably isn't a healthy relationship with God.
Title: Signs that Your Faith is NOT Working
Text: Leviticus 26
CONNECTING TO THE TEXT
1. .How many times does God mention trying to get their attention? Lev. 26:14, 18, 21, 27 How are the consequences progressive in nature?
2. What did God say would happen if they did “walk in God’s statutes”? Lev. 26:3-12
3. How is our “spurning” and “abhorring” God different than his “spurning” and “abhorring” us?
5. What was the purpose of the O.T. Law? Ro. 3:9; 5:20; 10:4 Ga. 3:24
6. What happens when we humble ourselves and turn back to God? Lev. 26:40-42; Lk. 14:11; Ja. 4:10; 1 Pe. 5:6