IN A NUTSHELL:
“Wonderful Words of Life...” Peter was in a bewildered state of mind when he said, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.” This sermon asks the worshipper to define whether things that mean so much to us point us to Jesus or do they become the objects we have come to worship? The lame man insisted he was looking forward to bubbles in a pool. The Jews insisted keeping the Sabbath was the key to coming closer to God. Some flaunted their knowledge of Scripture and their loyalty to Moses and the Prophets. Still others couldn't help but long to hear more of Jesus' teachings.
- Moses testified about Jesus as the "Lion of Judah" with a "scepter."
- Moses testified about Jesus as the "Lamb that would take away our sins."
- The Scriptures testified that the Messiah would make the lame to walk, the blind to see and the imprisoned set free.
- But Jesus' number one job was to help us believe.
HIS LIGHT & LIFE
Read through the entire 5th chapter... what sentences indicate extreme emotions? What kinds of emotions?
Where specifically do we find Moses describing Jesus?
How do the OT prophets describe Jesus?
How would you feel if you were one of the Jews and Jesus acted as if he was trying to break the Sabbath?
How would you feel if you were the lame man and Jesus said, “See, you are well! Sin no more, that nothing worse may happen to you.”
If the ultimate "Truly,Truly..." (truth) in this text is that there is eternal life and there is also eternal judgement, then what do you need to know and do?
HIS LIGHT IN MY LIFE
- What religious tradition do you believe in as much as the Jews believed in respecting the Sabbath?
- If you were a CARE group leader and you knew God was wanting you to help others become more confident that Jesus is the Son of God, what Scriptures would you study?”
- How can believing Jesus is God's son make life's trials easier to endure?
- Got Questions: John introduction
- This week's CARE Sheet is printed and in the church foyer
- The Old Testament points to Jesus... Got Questions website
- Is Jesus really "God's Son"? Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry
- The Gospel of John on video
- TIMBER LAKE CHRISTIAN CHURCH WEBSITE
- TIMBER LAKE LIVE! (SIMULCAST)
- TIMBER LAKE’S PAST VIDEOS (YOUTUBE)