Texts: Numbers 12:1-2 & Num. 16; Jude 1:11; Rom. 13:1-6; Heb. 13:17; Jam. 4:1-8; Lk. 12:11; Ac. 4:19-20 IN A NUTSHELL: What some call “demanding my rights” others call “going too far.” The difference comes down to motivation, what is driving your decision to stand up to those assuming authority over you. The bottom line is that God is far more interested in love than rights.
Ice Breaker: When you were in elementary school what happened when you were “sent to the principal’s office?”
CONNECTING WITH THE TEXT:
- What issues were used by Miriam (Num. 12:1-4), some of the descendants of Reuben (Num. 16:1-10,12,13), the 250 chiefs of Israel to rise up and ultimately the who congregation of Israel (Num. 16:41-49) against Moses and Aaron?
- How did Moses and Aaron respond? Num. 16:4-10,15,
- What did God want done with the censors of the 250 men that were destroyed and why? Num. 16:36-40
- Overall what was Moses’ attitude to this uprising? Num. 16:15,43-50
- How many times does God say to Israel “I brought you up out of Egypt.” What is God’s point when saying that?
- What is stated in the New Testament regarding Korah? Jude 1:11
- What is stated in the New Testament regarding rebellion and submitting to authorities? Rom. 13:1-6; Heb. 13:17
- What does James say causes conflict? Jam. 4:1-8
- When should one not submit to the authorities? Lk. 12:11; Ac. 4:19-20
REFLECTING ON YOUR LIFE:
- What is the implication of the statement “You have gone too far”? (Num. 16:3,7) Who made the statements and what were they implying?
- Looking back at a most recent conflict you have had with someone in authority. Can you see any “passions, desires, or coveting” within your own heart? Were you in anyway “going too far?”
- What does the “Gospel of the Now” look like in your life?
- Would love allow rebellion go unchecked, or would love stopped rebellion in it's tracks? Why?
CONNECTING WITH YOUR CHURCH:
- In what ways should the Church (Christians) set an example of submitting to authorities?
- In what ways have you noticed the Church (Christians) going too far?
The Art of Marriage video "James 4:1-5"
Title “Discerning Deception”
Text: Num. 18 – 34; especially Num. 22- 25:7-8; Rev 2:14; 2 Pet 2:15; Jude 1:11
Questions: “Why did Balaam want to go to so many different places to see if he could pronounce a curse on Israel? What was Balaam’s sin?
Parents with your Children: What is the difference between defiance and deception? Remember the old stories your parents and grandparents use to say about their parents and teachers, “they had eyes in the back of their heads!” Discuss with your children how people in authority discern deception.