Ice Breaker: Have you ever noticed after someone dies their reputation tends to get bigger than they really were? Why do you think that happens?
CONNECTING WITH THE TEXT:
- Read Hebrews 11:17-29. Of those listed in these verses, what did each of them do “by faith?” Did their attitudes and actions look as good as the author of Hebrews described them? Gen. 27:27-40; 49:1-28; 50:24,25; Ex. 2:2; 2:14,15;
- Why does Ex. 6:9 say the Israelites did not listen to Moses?
- Does Moses sound like a man of faith in Ex.3:10-13,4:1-17; 5:22-23?
- Why did God say he had raised up Pharaoh? Ex. 9:13-16
- What was Pharaoh’s sin? Ex. 9:34-35
- How can the author of Hebrews say Moses chose the “reproach of Christ” when Jesus hadn’t yet been born? Heb. 11:25
- Of all the times Pharaoh’s “heart was hardened” how many times does it say “he hardened his heart”, “his heart was hardened”, and “God hardened his heart”? Ex. 7:3, 13, 22; 8:15, 19, 32; 9:12, 35; 10:20,27; 11:10; 14:8
REFLECTING ON YOUR LIFE:
- Can you look back on your life and describe a time or two when you appeared to be faithless, maybe “hard hearted” and a time or two when your faith led you to do some things that even surprised you once the circumstance was over?
- What has kept you at times from doing what you know you should do?
- Can you relate to the Israelites thinking of a time you followed God’s commands but it seemed life got harder? What helped you to not give up?
- How do you know when it’s time to wait on the Lord, and when it’s time to stop praying and “move forward?”
CONNECTING WITH YOUR CHURCH:
- What about T.L.C.C.’s ministry challenges you to have faith and move forward?
- What can you imagine God doing through T.L.C.C. if we take bold steps of faith?
- Text a question... (478) 227-TLCC (8522)
- Tim Keller's book "Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering"
- How the Passover Meal Reveals Jesus Christ
- The ten plagues against Egypt and it's gods
- HIStory for me… God has given us snapshots of men and women in the Old Testament that show us their weaknesses and yet in the New Testament we can see God celebrate their faith!
- HIStory in me… Stepping out in faith in the middle of life’s storms is very difficult but seeing how fear paralyzes the faithful and hardened hearts condemns the faithless I can find reasons to trust God.
- HIStory through me… Sometimes I must make decisions that will result in major changes for myself and my family. That’s OK! God will provide what is necessary and we will be better for it…eventually. Stop crying and move forward!
Title “Preparing for God’s Presence ”
Text: Ex 13-32, especially Ex. 31:18 - 32:35, NT 1 Tim. 2:1-15
Questions: “Why did the Israelites revert back to their familiar traditions of worship? Sum up in one sentence Paul’s priorities for worship.
Parents with your Children: This week brainstorm some ways your children can help you prepare your minds and hearts to be at church on time ready to meet God on His terms? http://www.peopleoffaith.com/church-on-time.htm