- 66 Love Letters - Job, pg. 85
- The Story - pgs. 10-19
- New Testament Readings - Heb. 11:4; 1 John 3:12; Jude 11; Mt. 24:38; Heb. 11:7; 2 Pet. 2:1-22
Jan. 12, Sermon – “In the Beginning It was Good… Well Sorta” Gen. 1-11; Job 1-9
IN A NUTSHELL - God’s creation was good, but Satan had a "better idea". As usual man (and woman) “bit!” Since that time man has tended to drift, run, or intoxicate himself with various levels of selfishness (Cain), arrogance (Babel) and rebellion (the Flood). But relentlessly since the beginning God in His love has refused to give up on us.
In a Nutshell: God’s creation was good, but Satan had a better idea. As usual man (and woman) “bit!” Since that time man has tended to drift, run, or intoxicate himself with various levels of selfishness (Cain), arrogance (Babel) and rebellion (the Flood). But relentlessly since the beginning God in His love has refused to give up on us.
Ice Breaker: Can you recall (and are willing to share) a time when you were duped by Satan’s wooing and embarrassingly caught in sin?
CONNECTING WITH THE TEXT:
- How many times did God say “it was good” when evaluating His creation? Gen. 1
- Read Genesis 3:1-7 and Job 1 & 2. What can you imagine Satan would write about Adam, Eve and Job in his “journal?” What can you imagine Adam would write in his journal the day after hearing from God about “their curse”?
- What was it about Cain (Gen. 4), Balaam (Num. 22) and Korah’s (Num. 16) choices that caused the pronouncement of “woe”? Jude 11
- What apparently drove Cain’s anger? 1 John 3:12
- How many different ways does Peter describe people that promote evil? 1 Pet. 2:1-22
- In the face of a faithless world what does faith enable us to do? Heb. 11:4,7
REFLECTING ON YOUR LIFE:
- Have you ever noticed a sense of bitterness swelling up inside because someone was perceived as “better than you”? What causes that?
- Thinking about a time recently when Satan got the better of you, what do you imagine Satan’s “journal entry” about you would have said?
- Can you describe a day that you might have promoted evil in those around you? Or how about a day when you promoted faith in the presence of evil?
CONNECTING WITH YOUR CHURCH:
- How does the world explain the presence of evil, selfishness, rebellion?
- How is that different from the explanation you hear from the Bible, the church?
- How can your CARE group, Bible Fellowship class or D-group do a better job of keeping the battle between God and Satan more clear?
- HIStory for me… God is in a battle for my soul. Understanding this can be a game changer in our life choices. He wants what is best for us while Satan wants us to think his ways are better and God is cheating us out of something good that we will miss.
- HIStory in me… Identifying the yearning to sin as something enslaving and focusing on God’s provision for me can arm me against falling into sin.
- HIStory through me… Exposing Satan’s deceptions is a major part of our purpose in life. Tremendous good is promoted and evil can be exposed when we trust God enough to obey Him in spite of whether we feel like it or not!
Title “God said, ‘Go!’ Jesus says, ’I’m with You!’”
Questions: Abraham’s, Isaac’s, and Jacob’s calls were to leave the comfort zones of their common culture to serve Him by trusting Him. God’s “call” is similar to us, and Jesus adds “I will be with you always!”
Parents with your Children: Which is more important: to make a living (good paycheck) or to fulfill your call from God? What’s the difference? How can you live this out at work? In school? In your community?
Check out "7 Benefits of Journalling" by Michael Hyatt