4/28 “Free at Last!” IN A NUTSHELL: There are two ways to try to live good lives: make a list of the “bad things” you shouldn’t do and keep telling yourself “No. No! No!!” Bad News… doesn’t work. Or get to know and become committed to “The One” that offers a life that is better than the “bad things” that scream for our attention. The end result is either being jerked around by bad habits or following The Spirit’s lead to live a good life. Be careful, spiritual freedom has two enemies – “legalism” and “license”. The secret is faith in Jesus faith working through love. That’s the Good News!
ICE BREAKER: If two basketball referees ruled a game from two extremes; One with a License for “the flesh” and the second with legalistic rule keeping, then what would happen to the game? To the players? To the audience?
TEXT: Gal. 5
CONNECTING WITH THE TEXTS:
- What did Paul say would happen if one relied on circumcision (a symbolic commitment to the law/legalism) Gal. 5: 2-6Can you put Gal. 5:7-9 in your own words?
- What extreme consequence does Paul warn us might happen if we use our “freedom as an opportunity for the flesh” (a.k.a. license to sin)? Gal. 5:13-16
- What are the “works of the flesh?” Gal. 5: 19-21
- What are the “fruit of the Spirit?” Gal. 5:22
- Did Paul view circumcision similarly to baptism? What was the difference?
REFLECTING ON YOUR LIFE:
- What is the difference between salvation “by works” and “faith working through love”?
- What is the difference between being free to do what you want and freedom to do what is right?
- Have you ever imagined the Apostle Paul being so frustrated that he got cynical? What does he mean by Gal. 5:12 (If you’re frustrated by this question you might ask yourself why the Holy Spirit allowed Paul to write it. :) )
CONNECTING WITH YOUR CHURCH:
- What seems to cause people being frustrated and “devouring each other”?
- How can the “devouring each other” be stopped?
- How might a legalistic view of your church family affect you spiritually?
- How might a Spirit led view of your church family affect you spiritually?
CARE Sheet Resources: (I highly recommend these two books)
- He Loves Me by Wayne Jacobsen
Title: “Not So Random Acts of Kindness” Text: Ruth Question: Read the book of Ruth a couple times before next Sunday. Check out some background information about the book of Ruth at http://www.easyenglish.info/bible-commentary/ruth-law.htm. Who all extended some level of kindness to someone else? Big picture…what resulted from these “snapshots” of kindness?