“Heaven” by Randy Alcorn
IN A NUTSHELL – “What does the Bible say about Heaven, “the ultimate rest”? What does popular culture say about Heaven? Which ideas are biblical and which are mythical? Remember, the ultimate goal of us being able to go to heaven was the reason Jesus was born, lived, died and rose again. The reason for the season? Jesus came to give us access to a brighter ‘rest’!”
ICE BREAKER –Describe the best family vacation you ever took and how much effort you put toward getting ready for that vacation.
CONNECTING TO THE TEXT
- What kind of heart is to be avoided and what causes that kind of heart?
- How should we do that might help prevent that type of heart?
- Check out the “if” in verse 14: What can we know? And how will we know it?
- Why did some people fail to enter the “rest” in the promised land?
- There are four “rests” referred to in this passage what are they? Gen. 2:1-3; Ex. 23:12; Ps. 95:10,11; He. 4:1,
- Why was God not ashamed to be called “their God?”
- What has God prepared for those who lived by faith, and in what way can the author of Hebrews say it will be “better?”
- What do you think he means when he says together we will “be made perfect?” vs. 40
REFLECTING UPON OUR LIVES
- What is the difference between the six days of the week you work and the one day you devote to worshiping God and seeking physical and spiritual rest in Him?
- If living on this earth "doing life" is like the Israelites trodding through the desert, then how do you imagine going to heaven would be like "living in the promise land" /"entering God's rest"?
- What are some misconceptions you have had about Heaven?
CONNECTING WITH THE WAY WE DO CHURCH
- What does Hebrews 3:12-14; & 10:24,25 tell us as a church, that we should do to help make sure no one misses that ultimate "Rest" which God has planned for those who have been faithful?
NEXT WEEK – "brighter ‘promises’”
Hebrews – “Next week we look at Hebrews 8:6 & 10:34, contrasting “better” & “lasting promises” with the possessions we tend to focus on, like Christmas gifts. What has been the best/worse Christmas gift you have ever received? Imagine Jesus saying, "You're my present this year?"