ICE-BREAKER - If you were laid off from work or your job were terminated, where would you go to “get yourself together”? CONNECTING TO THE TEXT - Luke 24:13 - 53
1. Based upon their conversations, what would you say were the dominant emotions they were experiencing? (fear, disillusionment, loneliness, despair, other)
2. What did Jesus use to build faith in their minds and hearts? What were some other ways He used to build faith in the minds and hearts of his audience? (see vss. 25-27; Jn. 13:19; Jn. 10:37-38) For an extensive study of what the prophets said by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and how those prophecies were fulfilled in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus go here: www.clarifyingchristianity.com
3. When did they recognize Jesus? Lk. 24:37
4. What did they do once they recognized Jesus? Why do you think they did that?
REFLECTING UPON OUR LIVES
5. What is the closest you have come to “throwing in the towel” spiritually?
6. What helps you realize Jesus is “next to you” during hard times?
7. If the two on the road to Emmaus were a parable of your spiritual condition where would you be right now… Leaving Jerusalem discouraged, listening to Jesus teach from the Scriptures, praying with Jesus at a meal that is refreshing, running to tell others of His amazing grace?
CONNECTING WITH THE WAY WE DO CHURCH
8. How important do you think it is to have fellow believers to doubt with, grow with, celebrate faith with?
9. How does T.L.C.C. help you with that?
10. Have you met any neighbors this year with which you need to share this story?
Below are some websites that help us ask and answer intelligent questions about our faith and evidences for truth. Keep in mind that these represent human opinion and should not be regarded as inspired by God or completely endorsed by myself nor the church I serve. Pray, research, substantiate and most of all THINK in light of Scripture!
www.asa3.org/ - What does the ASA believe? (American Scientific Affiliation)
www.christiandoubt.com - Welcome to ChristianDoubt.com! The creator of this website started this site as a tool to help him through his doubt of the Christian faith.
www.carm.org - Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry. CARM is a 501(c)3, non-profit, Christian ministry dedicated to the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ and the promotion and defense of the Christian Gospel, Doctrine, and Theology.
www.apologetics.org - Apologetics.org is a project sponsored by C. S. Lewis Society and Trinity College of Florida. Follow the links below to find out more about this site, its directors, and future plans for this exciting ministry.
www.answersingenesis.org - Answers in Genesis is a catalyst to bring reformation by reclaiming the foundations of our faith which are found in the Bible, from the very first verse.
www.rationalchristianity.net - "Rational Christianity" is a response to the oft-voiced opinion of atheists/skeptics that Christianity is an irrational faith. Christianity doesn't require blind faith, nor does it require one to stop thinking rationally or critically. That's not to say that faith isn't required, but God provides us with enough reasons to believe that our faith doesn't have to be blind. For more of my thoughts on this, you may want to seeWhy doesn't God prove his existence?
www.apologeticsindex.org - The Apologetics Index 'family of web sites' provides 42,850+ pages of research resources on religious cults, sects, new religious movements, alternative religions, apologetics-, anticult-, and counter cult organizations, doctrines, religious practices and world views. These resources reflect a variety of theological and/or sociological perspectives.
www.rzim.org - Distinctive in its strong evangelistic and apologetic foundation, it is intended to touch both the heart and the intellect of the thinkers and opinion-makers of society and to REACH and CHALLENGE those who shape the ideas of a culture with the credibility of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Some of my favorite books include:
"The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller
Lee Strobel's series "The Case for..."
"A Humble Defense" edited by Mark Scott & Mark Moore
"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis
"Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell